Saturday, March 23, 2019

The ageing body, the yoga body





Yoga may be the fountain of youth, I was blessed to begin my own path in my 20’s but it’s definitely not just for youth. 
Some yogis come to yoga when they’re young, fit, and healthy just like me. I was competing in body building competitions and needed it for mind body soul. 
But as our bodies change with injury and the ageing of time, yoga can serve us even more and help us maintain health and vitality into our golden years. I know within my own practice I need it more and more as I age. 
Our practice should change +  evolve with our body’s needs + lifestyle. 


If you started practicing in your 20s, you were probably drawn to faster-paced flow-style yoga, I certainly was!  Vinyasa or flow yoga is the most common yoga Ashtanga based. This type of yoga moves quickly, and it’s as much of a cardio workout as it is a yoga practice. It’s a fun practice that offers sweat, like Bikram in the hot room. 
As we move into our late 20s and 30s, it becomes crucial to build strength in the glutes and core. 
In your 30s, years of sitting at a desk for work or school may start to take a toll. Or long lengths of standing like I was when I ran my hair salons. 


In our 30s and 40s, major life changes occur. I can certainly say that.
Some of us will balance families, work elderly parents, hormonal imbalances, and increasing job pressure. 
It’s important that we focus on relaxation during these often-stressful years. Adding in yin based or restoration yoga poses can create balance. 
Your 40s are a perfect time to start a more focused meditation practice. Research shows that in addition to lowering stress levels, a regular meditation practice can offer anti-ageing properties.


Women in their mid 40s will begin to have hormone shifts: gentle yoga and meditation can be
the antidote to changing moods and energy levels.

Our 50s are all about balance, and a focus on balance poses is especially helpful. 


Poses that strengthen the abductors and outer hips are crucial. Side plank is one helpful pose for this kind of hip strength. It can be modified with the bottom knee down on the earth for more support and it can be made more challenging if the top leg is raised up. Traditional standing balance poses, like tree pose and warrior III should be regularly practiced, too, since the only way to get better at balance is to practice. 




Psychologically,  facing the ageing years of 50 can feel like a major life milestone. Breath work such as pranayama and Nidra Breathing exercise can help with anxiety at this point of mid life, 


As we move into our 60s and beyond, health concerns take precedence when deciding what yoga practice to do.


I know yoga is part of my life forever and can already see the different styles I have been drawn to throughout my 20's, 30's and 40's

Namaste

​PS my next blog I will dive deeper into the different styles I have certified in and practiced throughout my life. 



Warmest regards 
Nicky Arthur ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Live life with passion, health & vitality 



Remember to vote for me today for the Miss Jetset Cover competition, this round is tough and every vote will help. 

jetsetmag.com/model-search/2019/nicola-arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment