Saturday, February 23, 2013

Do you take the skins off Almonds?


Why take the skin off almonds and why?



Almonds are filled with nutritional value, and becoming a Raw foodist, vegetarian and mostly Vegan nuts and seeds have become a big part of my diet.  Many years  ago I struggled with health issues from all the  weight  training for competitions and eating a  high protein diet I was left with sugar cravings, fluctuating weight and digestive problems. In fact before the competitions I also struggled with sugar cravings,  fluctuating weight, and low immune system. My mum often said I was burning the candle at both ends. She was right. I was over training, depleting my body and depriving my body from eating a  hundred percent wholesome, natural and varied diet. I consumed protein powders, protein bars, a lot of chicken, tuna.  I exercised like a mad thing, from running races , boxing, personal training , spin classes you name it I did it.   At one stage I worked very long hours, trained hard and partied hard. 

Since I have embraced the healing journey of my Yoga and Raw Food lifestyle I have not felt so vibrant healthy young and energised ever before and I am now in my 40's.

Yoga helps you restore and balance your hormonal system. You needn't pound the pavement for hours like I did just to feel light, energised and grounded. In fact looking back it did quite the opposite. But in your twenties you explore all sort of exercise, and it can be fun setting these goals. I have many trophies  from my achievements and all those experiences are what shape and help me help others today.
Setting personal goals can help you enjoy your life, motivate you and keep you active. However as we age, I believe at some point it is critical to really listen to your body and learn how to restore, rejuvenate and re-organise it.

 'IT's also important to know how to prepare, combine and eat foods so that you can create energy and vitality.'

Almonds are a great  source of protein, full of fiber, vitamin E, omega -3, omega -6 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium and zinc.  However it is important to know how to eat almonds.  Correcting you  digestive system is essential for great health and  weight loss. It really is the key to great health and not enough people are giving their digestive system a break. 

Consuming too many almonds with skin on  makes  it difficult  for your digestive system to break them down and eating too many at once can make you put on weight.  Everything in moderation.  Almonds are usually difficult for most people to digest because of an enzyme-inhibiting substance in their brown coating. Soaking or sprouting removes this inhibitor so that the enzymes secreted during digestion can do their job.  
While I was in Bali having Raw Food lessons, I was shown an easy way to remove the skins. I use to soak my nuts with cold water over night., But this way is quick and easy and the nuts taste Delicious, even my daughters loved them. All you have to do is add the almonds to a glass bowl, pour over boiling water, allow to sit for 10 minutes, then squeeze the skin and it will easily pop off. This is something kids love to help out with in the kitchen.
Once you have skinless almonds you can add them to a green bean salad or a basil and brown rice or quinoa salad for extra protein and fiber. 

Next Workshop March 9th Sydney 
email nicky@nickyarthur.com 
Bali Yoga DVD back in stock order today at http://www.nickyarthur.com.au






No comments:

Post a Comment